Google

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe


For the past few weeks I have been harvesting a huge crop of tomatoes from my little garden. The season started out late May when I planted six beefsteak tomato seedlings. There is a bounty of tomatoes this year and we have been picking them non stop. To date we have endured tasty bruschetta, pico de gallo, margarita pizzas, and several other tomato based meals. As we get ready for another hectic school and work week, I decided I needed to do something quick with the six large beefsteaks that needed to get used up and fast. I decided to make a tomato sauce to freeze for later use. The sauce was fun to make since it used some homegrown ingredients and the tomatoes were on the sweet side. I winged this sauce with some basic ingredients and the taste was exceptionally good. I recommend this for a Saturday or Sunday prep to be used later in the week or month. The sweetness is also personal preference as some like a really sweet sugary sauce. It also depends on the acidity of the tomato. The sauce I made with my garden beefsteaks was naturally sweet so I did not reach for the sugar jar. There was also some sweetness coming from the the carrot and sweet onion I included. Also, if you can put a garden sauce together using home grown herbs, the taste will be even better. I had to reach for the dried basil leaves, but I was able to grab a few sprigs of fresh oregano from my Dad's garden.

Garden Tomato Sauce Recipe

6 - 7 Beefsteak tomatoes
1/2 Sweet onion, diced fine
1 carrot, peeled and diced fine
2 cloves garlic
1/4 stick butter
1 teaspoon oregano or 2 sprigs
1 teaspoon basil
pinch salt
pinch pepper

1. Fill small stock pot or large soup pot with water and bring to boil.
2. Drop six tomatoes into water and stew until skin starts to rip (reserve one tomato for later use).
3. Remove tomatoes and place into cold ice bath.
4. Carefully remove skins and place tomato insides into blender
5. blend tomatoes for about 10 seconds, grinding up pulp.
6. Melt butter in saute pan.
7. Add onions and garlic and cook until tender.
8. Dice remaining tomato and add to onions and garlic.
9. Add remaining pureed tomatoes and herbs and seasonings.
10. Simmer at very low heat for about forty five minutes.
11. Serve over pasta or cool and freeze for later use.

No comments: