Google

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Czech Bakeries in Chicago

















It is a shame that so many ethnic bakeries have folded their tents and gone away. This is a crime when it comes to bohemian and polish baked goods which are very tough to find these days. The ethnic baked items found in large chain grocery stores hardly stand up to what was once offered in the ethnic neighborhoods. With a little perseverance and luck, one can still seek out quality bakeries in the Chicagoland area. My dad grew up in the Berwyn area as did my grandparents. We would make several trips to Berwyn to see my Teta (aunt) as a child and my parents would stop at the Fingerhut bakery or other bakeries on Cermak to pick up some kolackys, a poppy seed cake, and some rye bread that my Father couldn’t get enough of. I did vette the area and came up with a short list of bohemian bakery stops when in the Chicago area. I also will point out that there is family owned supermarket in the far western suburbs of Chicago that features outstanding kolackys. The store is called Blue Goose and is located in St. Charles.


Chicagoland Czech Bakeries

Chicago

Pticek & Son Bakery
5523 S. Narragansett Avenue
Chicago, IL 60638

Contact: (773) 585 – 5500
Features: Bohemian bakery items including the ever famous Houska and other delectable items.
Store Hours: Tuesday – Friday (4:30 a.m – 6:00 p.m.); Saturday (4:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.); Closed Sundays

Weber’s Bakery
7055 W. Archer Avenue
Chicago, IL 60638

Contact: (773) 586-1234
Features: Assortment of tasty kolacky; raisin houska, and assortment of sweet rolls. Try the Grandpa rye bread if available.
Store Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (4:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.) Open Sundays (5:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)

Chicago Suburbs

Vesecky Bakery
6634 Cermak Road
Berwyn, IL 60402


Contact: (708) 778-4144
Features: Family owned bakery specializes in Czech favorites such as houskas, fruit cakes, and even birthday and wedding cakes. Several kolacky offerings including ground almond which is out of this world.
Store Hours: Monday – Friday (6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.); Saturday (6 a.m. – 5 p.m.); Closed Sundays.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am also from Berwyn, but I now live in Las Vegas, and beleive me their is no Czech food in Vegas. I miss it so much.
I am having so much trouble with making sweet yeast dough, my dough always comes out dry and not like my Mom's. Do you have any ideas for me to try??

4Czech said...

Karen,

Thanks for dropping by. Your request all depends on what kind of sweet yeast dough you are preparing. If you are making a Houska and prefer it to be moist try my recipe linked on the right side of the blog. My Houska always comes out moist prepared in my 1970's model GE oven! That being said, cooking times may vary depending on gas vs. electric and altitude.