Google

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Broccoli Salad Recipe

Well, another weekend has come and gone. The weather in Chicagoland area was beautiful to begin this month of May. We had sixties on Saturday and seventies on Sunday. Both days involved cleaning up the yard and preparing the garden for planting. I put up my crazy spool of chicken wire to keep out the multitudes of rabbits that inhabit our neighborhood. Unfortunately I did not plant a single vegetable seed as time ran out with my garage door breaking. I did manage to fix the door with help from father in law and I also squeezed in some playtime with the kids. I hope to get in vegetables seeds (and seedlings) of tomatoes, green beans, peppers, and herbs all planted within the next few weeks. I did plant my spinach seeds in pots a few weeks ago and I have a healthy showing of sprouts.

I did manage to cook off a nice steak and prepared some Ohio Broccoli Salad to keep the carb count low. The broccoli salad is an old family recipe and I offer it to you. It is a nice salad alternative when you get burned out with potato or pasta salad.

Ohio Broccoli Salad
1 large head broccoli, chopped
1/2 red onion slice thin
1 cup raisins
10 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 cup mayo
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Toss salad ingredients together in a large bowl and refrigerate. Mix dressing ingredients and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Combine dressing and broccoli mixture just before serving.

Serves 8

No comments: