Google

Friday, April 17, 2009

Refrigerator Dill Pickle Recipe

I love a good chilled cuc or dill pickle. This was an old favorite as grandma and grandpa embarked on their canning cux every summer when the cux were ripe. Try this recipe out and you may find a winner here.

Grandma's Refrigerator Dills

20 Cux (pickles), Firm
3 Tablespoons White Vinegar
3 Cloves Garlic, peeled
2 Teaspoons mixed pickling spices
1 Teaspoon mustard seed
3 Bay leaves
3 bunches fresh dill
1/2 to 3/4 Cup pickling salt
3 Pints Water

1. Wash and drain cuxs and pack lengthwise in 3 hot, sterilized quart jars.
2. Add 1/3 of garlic, spices and dill to each jar.
3. Make brine of salt and pour over cuxs to within 1/2 inch of top.
4. Seal immediately.
5. Store in refrigerator and use within next two weeks.

4 comments:

Nola @ the Alamo said...

My grandma (babicka) was Czech, and she made a similar pickle, it was called "squashoratcki". I know that's not spelled right, but that's how we pronounced it. Makes me hungry just to read pickle recipes!

Michaela Canady said...

Hey! I am Czech living in the USA and I was trying to find something similar to our pickling mix so I could pickle some veggies following my mom's recipe.
What spices/pickle mix do you use?
Thanks a bunch!
Michaela

Michaela Canady said...

Hi, what kind of pickling spices? I am Czech living in the USA and I would like to pickle some veggies using my mom's recipe...
Thanks!

4Czech said...

Michaela,

I usually cheat and use the premade McCormick brand pickling spice. There are tons of pickling spice recipes one can make from scratch. Just cover the basics (mustard, ginger, all spice, red pepper, coriander, bay leaf, and cloves). Here is a good one found at http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-pickling-spice-70879