Google

Monday, March 9, 2009

Low Carb Spinach Steak Salad

The household menu has been shaken up for a while and a member of the family (Mrs. 4czech) has been dealt the news of having gestational diabetes. We have gone through this menu planning exercise before when we were expecting our second child and were able to keep blood sugar levels at healthy levels right up to the delivery of the baby. We obviously roped in more carbs after the baby arrived since my wife’s diabetes went away after the birth.
I decided to go on this temporary diet along with my wife as a gesture of peer support in addition to losing a little weight prior to summer time. First and foremost, I will not let this diet hamper my ability to continue on making Czech recipes (despite the fact that most of these dishes are very high in complex carbohydrates (namely dumplings and potatoes). I think it good for occasional reward when offset by a little sacrifice or meal trade off later in the day or when burning caloric /sugar intake with exercise.
So effective immediately I went to one of my old low carb standbys this weekend. The recipe is a low carb steak salad. I usually top of this salad with a store bought Greek/Mediterranean dressing as it is very flavorful and yields only two grams of carb per serving! I also grilled the meat on my outside grill but this same recipe can be achieved using the broiler. Feel free to give it a try.

Low Carb Spinach Steak Salad
16 ounce Sirloin Steak (marinated with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and few teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce).
1 bag of Baby Spinach Leaves, rinsed
1 roma tomato, sliced
1 cup sharp cheddar, cubed
1 can black olives, drained sliced
1 avocado,sliced
Assemble salad by tossing together spinach, tomatoes, cheddar and black olives.
Divide salad mixture into two dinner salad bowls or plates.
Place marinated steak onto hot grill and cook until desired doneness.
Slice meat and place on top of salad.
Place thin slices of avocado on top of meat and spinach.
Serve with low carb salad dressing.

No comments: