Google

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dry Black Bean Burger

So last Sunday I made a valiant attempt at preparing a vegan or "no meat" supper for the family. I am not a vegan by any stretch of the imagination. I just sort of figured it would be good to consume proteins derived from "non animal" sources once in a while......enter the black bean. I love black beans when prepared with many latin american dishes. I figured I would attempt a shot at making black bean burger patties. Here is what went into this creation:

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
onion
garlic
bread crumbs
smashed corn tortilla chips
egg
salt, pepper, cumin
splash of hot sauce

I combined 2/3 of the beans with the egg, onion, garlic and seasonings in the food processor and combined. I then added that mixture to the remainder of the black beans that were still "whole" along with the bread crumbs and tortilla chips. I formed this concoction into four patties and cooked on the griddle and then transferred into the oven to finish, finally topping with a little monterrey jack cheese. Let me say the flavor was good. The big down side to this was how dry the patties turned out. I think I over did it with the corn chips and perhaps too much bread crumbs. I was too concerned about the patties being too weak and liquidy that I ended up at the other extreme of dryness. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Neither eggs, nor cheese are vegan.