Google

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pork Chops with Apple Stuffing

So I am foraging around the house the other day looking for something to make with four nice pork chops I picked up from the butcher. My default mode for pork chops is usually to bath them in a marinade for a day, only to eventually cook them over the searing heat of the outdoor grill. Well, at the time that option was out since my propane tank was empty and I was too lazy to brave the single digit cold to get the tank refilled. My only option then was to use the oven or panfry (breaded).
I decided to make stuffed pork chops after seeing four hamburger buns starting to dry up on the counter. I spied a lonely apple in the crisper along with some sage so my plan for my pork chops had come to fruition; I must say that that the recipe turned out better than expected as my kids really loved the recipe. I even added some raisins to the stuffing more to their amusement. I omitted this extra ingredient in the recipe below...

Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
4 center cut pork chops
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
4 hamburger buns or about 8 slices of bread, cubed
1 teaspoon butter
½ teaspoon sage
1 cup chicken stock or 1 cube bouillon dissolved into a cup of water
Pinch garlic powder, salt, and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large skillet, or frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
3. Add sliced apples into pan and sauté for a few minutes until the apples start to get tender.
4. Pour apples into bowl or plate to cool
5. In a separate bowl, combine bread, sage, and seasonings.
6. Add apples and chicken stock.
7. Mix ingredients together making sure all stuffing is moist.
8. Create pocket or slit through each pork chop (Large enough to allow a tablespoon or so of stuffing.
9. Stuff pork chops.
10. Place chops on roasting rack or into covered roasting pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until done.

No comments: