Google

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Easy Rice Pudding



The weekend was cold as usual here in Chicago. I had a sweet tooth so I had the urge to crank out a tasty dessert. Nothing too extravagant of course, but I wanted to make something without too much effort, or involve a trip to the grocery store. Seeing that I was safe with eggs and milk and had a cannister of rice on the counter, I decided to go with rice pudding. I have had this recipe buried in the back of my recipe box and thought it necessary to bring it back to life. As you notice in the picture that the tasty custard-pudding dish developed a brown film on the top after spending some time in the oven. I think this is the result of the egg white sort of rising to the top and developing sort of a carmelized meringue film. I easily peeled it off and continued baking for a few more minutes. The custard serves about six. We actually ate it shortly after it cooled down a little, but still warm. Some prefer to eat rice pudding cold. You be the judge.






Delicious and Easy Czech Rice Pudding

3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup cooked rice

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Beat egg yolks.
3. Add remaining ingredients (except egg whites) to beaten yolks in baking dish.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy.
5. Fold in egg white mixture to custard mixture. (Make sure the egg whites are well incorporated into the yolk/rice mixture.
6. Place into preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool and dust with cinnamon upon serving.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Trying this now for my daughters school project. Hope its good

Amanda said...

Mine is in the oven now. trying this for my daughters project at school.Hope its good

4Czech said...

Amanda,

Thanks for visiting my Czech recipes blog. Hope your rice pudding came out good!

Terry Hargraves said...

Hi, THANK YOU for this recipe! I've been trying to find one that sounds like what my Czech grandma used to make. Both my mom and my grandmother are gone now, and nobody remembers how she made it.

I just thought I'd pass along that Grandma always served it with that brown skin on top, and all of us grandkids thought that was the tastiest part!