Google

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Easy Apple Strudel Recipe

When dining out at Czech and German restaurants I have always had the pleasure of following up my meal with a slice of apple strudel. I have a somewhat easy recipe that makes a tasty dessert that I would like to share. I would recommend this one if you plan on having guests over for coffee and would like to impress them with your strudel prowess. Keep in mind that authentic strudel dough does not use phyllo pastry as I will be mentioning in my recipe. Creating strudel dough from scratch requires a lot of time, effort, and patience as you will be stretching the dough to an impossibly thin consistency trying not to shred the pastry. If you want to brave that challenge, I recommend you watch someone else do it first or purchase a really good cookbook with pictures.
Oh yes a couple of tips. Please keep in mind that Phyllo dries out very quickly and you must keep the unused sheets covered as they will dry out very quickly. Also if you are a slow worker, I suggest you sprinkle a tiny bit of lemon juice on your peeled apples as to avoid browning.


Apple Strudel Recipe
Granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter, melted
¼ cup raisins
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed and kept covered until ready to use

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. In a bowl, combine apples brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon
3. Lay out two sheets of phyllo dough onto counter and quickly brush melted butter over both sheets.
4. Sprinkle bread crumbs over buttered surface.
5. Repeat previous two steps as you will have a dough base of four layers for each strudel.
6. Divide apple mixture in half and spread evenly over top layer of each strudel.
7. Roll strudel lengthwise until forming a “log” shape.
8. Transfer strudels on to a greased baking sheet.
9. Re-apply final coat of butter over entire strudel with brush.
10. Bake for approximately 35 minutes. Baking time varies so keep on eye on the strudels after about 30 minutes. You don't want the pasty to get too brown.
11. Remove from oven, cool, and dust with powdered sugar.
12. Serve slighly warm if possible.


3 comments:

Nola @ the Alamo said...

My mouth waters at just the mention of hot apple strudel. It is such an ordeal to make, I usually buy it at our local Czech bakery. Your recipe using the phyllo dough sounds doable, though, so I might give it a try. I'm glad you're back posting more recipes!

4Czech said...

I agree. It is such an ordeal. Give this one a try. It is pretty easy.

Anonymous said...

My Grandma made her own dough and nothing of course from a recipe..the cupped palm of her hand was her measuring device. I 'cheat' and use the phyllo, it is still yummy!