Google

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Czech Potato Soup Recipe - Bramboracka


Back to Czech recipes. I like to make soups in the winter and one of them is Bramboracka (Potato Soup). The soup goes great with sandwiches or can be a meal within itself when served with a hearty slice of Rye Bread. I call this "tuber" soup as it uses all the deep ground vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc.



Potato Soup

1 Cup Mushrooms, Sliced
6 Cups Water
1 Celery Stalk, Chopped
1 Carrot, Peeled and Chopped
1 Turnip, Peeled and Chopped
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
2 Large Potatoes
1/4 Tsp Caraway
1/8 Tsp Marjoram
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Flour
4 Tbsp Butter
Pepper to taste

1. Saute all the vegetables (except potatoes) in butter.
2. Slowly add flour to sauteed vegetables.
3. Add 1 cup water to thicken vegetable mixture.
4. Add remaining water, caraway, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
5. Add potatoes then bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer cooking for additional 25 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with topping of sour cream.


6 comments:

Nina said...

Oh, I definitely will try this recipe - thank you so much! I keep thinking that there was another potato soup recipe - which included potatoes, onion, and adding sour cream mix with flour close to the end + putting dill and eggs after it's ready...Do you know something about it?
Thanks,
Nina

housefly said...

i visited prague last xmas and really loved czech soup=)will try ur recipe soon!

Shondra said...

this is a great soup , I grew up Czech and remember this soup simple but great

Pepi said...

My Mum used to make this soup. I have been looking for this recipe for years. I will be trying this recipe very shortly. Thankyou.
P.S. Yum Yum

Julibug said...

Nina, I have the recipe you are talking about. My mom made it the other night. If you would like it, please email me at Julann74@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I need to make a soup for class