Google

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tasty Cabbage Rolls

Hello again. It's been awhile since my last post. It has been a busy work season and time for cooknig has been scarce when it comes to down to preparing tasty czech cuisine. Our busy meals usually involve crock pot food, pizza take out, or quick salads or grill food. I did want to take time to share a stuffed cabbage roll recipe. Cabbage is so underrated as a vegetable. This round leafy vegetable is more than a base for sauerkraut and coleslaw. Cabbage rolls are another great way to use these veggies up. Besides they are very healthy and inexpensive. Give this one a try and see how you like it.




Ground Beef in Cabbage Leaves



Sauce:

1. 16oz can tomatoes in puree

1 cup Chicken broth

1/2 c. chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp salt

2 T brown sugar.



Mix all these ingredients and set aside. Reserve 1/4 cup for filling.



Filling:



1 Cabbage

1/2 lb Ground Beef

1/2 cup uncooked rice

1/2 cup minced onion

3/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1 bacon slice

1/4 tsp thyme

1 egg

1/4 sauce (from above)



Roll each cabbage leaf with generous (1 tablespoon) of filling.

Place in 8" square pan with lid.

Put 2 Cups of sauce over cabbage rolls.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and pour remaining sauce over.

Cover and bake 1 additional hour.

Let stand 15 minutes from serving.



TIP: I usually double the recipe so we have leftovers or I can freeze a few to take to work later in the week. I sometimes prefer a little extra bacon in the recipe. (Additional slice or two)!

3 comments:

Lydia Knox said...

Oddly enough my mother never made Cabbage rolls...however, for some reason they were always considered part of Czech cooking when my Candian friends talked about it. I think I would like to try them though...keep on blogging about these recipes your Chicken Paprika is perfect!

I have added you onto my Google reader!


:)

my blog:http://falcowashere.blogspot.com/

4Czech said...

Glad you enjoyed the chicken paprika and thanks for adding me to your google reader. I will pick up the pace on this blogsite once my job slows down in the fall and cooler temperatures allow for more cooking and baking. I still plan on throwing out some recipes here and there over the summer, especially as vegetables and fruit are coming into season.

Anonymous said...

My great grandma was born in Czech but game to America when she was 20. She didn't like tomatoes so she use to make these without the tomato sauce. Instead she put chicken broth over them in the oven to keep them moist. When I told my mom that it was suppose to have a tomato based sauce we both agreed it would be a completely different taste but we prefer the way we make them just because it reminds us both of her.