Google

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Czech Kraut

In the warmer months I usually prepare heavy czech food less frequently since the food is heavier and leads to overheating my kitchen when my overall objective is to keep the house cool. I do want to share a good czech sauerkraut recipe that goes good with bratwurst or polish sausage which are summertime favorites. Please note that I usually use Franks Kraut and the mixture usually comes out perfect with only adding a cup of water to the kraut. Water and consistency may vary depending on the kraut you buy. If your kraut comes out a little too watery just add a little cornstarch/water to the mixture as mentioned below and you will be fine. I guess I am not a food purist since I do not make my kraut from scratch (Cabbage). That is about a 15 to 20 day process that involves fermentation which I will leave to the experts. Besides, if I am going to get into the practice of fermentation, I will have to start brewing pilsner!

Czech Kraut
1. Large Jar of Kraut.
1 Medium Sweet Onion such as Vidalia (Diced)
4 Slices of Bacon (Diced)
1 Tablespoon of Caraway Seed
3 Tablespoons of Sugar
1 Cup of Water

1. Saute Bacon and diced onion until bacon is evenly browned and onion is translucent. Set aside.
2. Place drained and rinsed Kraut into saucepan with added cup of water. Simmer over medium heat.
3. Add Bacon, onions, caraway seeds, and sugar.
4. Continue at lower simmer for additional five minutes.
5. If hot kraut mixture is still a bit too watery, add about a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with a few teaspoons of cold water to thicken.
6. Remove and serve over dumplings or sausage.

No comments: