Google

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Poppy Seed Sunday In My Kitchen


Miserably cold freezing rain kept activities indoor this weekend so I decided to bake an old family holiday favorite, poppy seed cake. We Czechs like to use poppy seeds in just about every dessert item (pies, coffee cakes, kolacky, etc.). My poppy seed cake diverts course slightly from the pure Czech form in that I add lemon zest to the batter. Some like to even add almond extract. Truthfully speaking, this cake recipe tastes great without the citrus or nut flavors being added. I just like the lemon flavor first thing in the morning when I grab a slice and cup of coffee on my way to work. Give this recipe a try this Christmas and you won’t be disappointed. Oh yeah, icing isn’t needed. All you will need is a healthy dusting of confectioner’s sugar. Have a good week, and Merry Christmas. Maybe I will have time in the next week or two to put a Houska together.
Poppy Seed Cake

2 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 ¾ cups sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
½ cup poppy seeds, ground
4 egg whites, beaten
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated


Soak poppy seeds in milk overnight in the refrigerator
Cream together sugar, butter, and vanilla.
Gradually add flour and baking soda mixture.
Add lemon zest.
Fold in beaten egg whites.
Pour batter into greased Bundt cake pan and bake at 325 for 50 minutes. (May take additional 5 minutes longer depending on your oven).
Place on cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Tip bundt cake pan upside down on plate or cake plate.
Dust with confectioner’s sugar.

3 comments:

Lotte said...

hey!
i hope you'll keep posting czech recipes. i've spent half a year in moravia (olomouc) and really enjoyed the food (and beer) :-)

4Czech said...

Thanks for the post. Are you from Moravia originally? I would love to learn about more moravian and bohemian recipes if you have any to share. I will try and get several more posted recipes this winter as I have more time to cook.

Lorna said...

So glad to find this site with Czech recipes. I was interested in your poppy cake. My grandmother (babe) used to make a poppy seed cake with a very moist poppy filling. I read your recipe and I didn't see what you do with the poppies once you soak them. Can you help....thanks..